[ale] failover planning

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 19:59:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:49:43 -0500, Christopher Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> Speaking of failover is it possible to install 2 NICS in Linux and put
> them on the same subnet.  I.E. eth0 = 192.168.1.4 and eth1 = 192.168.1.5
> then place those NICS under load balancing.  In this case both will have
> the same DNS and same gateway.  All load balancing setups I've seen load
> balance between multiple Internet connections.

I don't know the details, but there is a "NIC bonding" howto for linux
that explains what can be done.

I think you end up sharing a single IP address between the 2 NICS.  It
may require that your switch understand bonding.

With SUSE, I believe they ship that howto as part of the distro.

Greg