[ale] SCSI Tape Drive with SUSE 9.2

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 19:13:35 EST 2004

All,

How do I get SUSE 9.2 (2.6 kernel) to use a SCSI tape drive?

=== Background
I have just upgraded my tape server from SUSE 8.2 (2.4 kernel) to 9.2.

(It is a test upgrade, so I can still use the tape under 8.2)

In 8.2, I did an insmod for the SCSI controller and a stinit.

After that the tape drive was usable as /dev/st0.

With 9.2 the scsi controller module is being loaded fine at boot, but
there is not a stinit command.

I have tried just accessing /dev/st0, but no luck.

In /proc/scsi, I do see the "streaming device".

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer