[ale] Memory on AMD Opteron

John Allgood john at turbocorp.com
Mon Nov 29 13:44:29 EST 2004

Hello Folks

    I have just purchased and new system with dual opterons and 8GB RAM.
I have got Redhat ES 3.0 for 64 bit systems installed. The problem is
that the system will not boot unless is pass to the kernel at boot time
mem=2048M. I had to do that same when I installed the OS. I tryed other
flavors of 64bit Linux. IE Suse 9.2 and Fedora 3 and there was a problem
with the RAID driver for the Adaptec 2200s card. The was not any drivers
from adaptec for that new of OS. Any Ideas. Redhat ES is supposed to
support 8GB of RAM and two processors.

Thanks

John Allgood - ESC
Systems Administrator