[ale] Q: directing stream I/O _the_C++_way_

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Sat Nov 27 20:52:07 EST 2004

    John> ALErs - I want to optionally start a C++ program with the
    John> name of a file for its log activity, else have the output
    John> sent to the console as presently.  (I use 'cout'). What's a
    John> simple way to alternatively connect an output stream to
    John> 'stdout' or a named file? (For my own learning, I would
    John> rather use "C++-style" than "C-style" operators.)

I want to say that you should be able to declare an ostream and assign
either an ofstream or cout as desired.

ostream& log;

if( logfilename ) {
  ofstream logfile( logfilename.c_str() );
  log = logfile;
} else {
  log = cout;
}

Granted that's not perl so I can't guarantee the syntax is exactly
correct . . . :)

    John> A pointer to a nice on-line manual for this type inquiry
    John> would also be nice.

Not online, but several people at work have this book and it's been
helpful the handfull of times I've needed to poke at something C++.

_The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference_