[ale] Linksys WRT54g alternate firmware

Titus Barik titus at barik.net
Sat Nov 27 16:23:18 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I recently signed up to Vonage to experiment with their broadband VoIP
system, and I have a Linksys WRT54G router. While I'm at it, I was
wondering I should make the switch to one of the unofficial, third-party
routers.

In addition to the basic features provided by the official firmware,
I'd like to do the following:

1. the ability to use DHCP, but always assign the same dynamic IP to the
   user. That is, something simple like checking the MAC address and
   then having the router always assign that IP to that computer.
   Unfortunately, I don't know what the official name for this is.
2. the ability to do QoS, since I'm using Vonage. Since the router is
   part of a common household, I need to use the following
   configuration:

   http://tinyurl.com/4od3a [Vonage Help Document]

   Consequently, my phone adapter must sit after the router.

The ones I'm currently considering are:

	cisco (official, supports simple QoS)
	sveasoft (non-free)
	openwrt