[ale] FAT32 driver and big disk drives

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Wed Nov 24 19:40:22 EST 2004

What file system are you using when you mount the FAT drive?

I had similar problems happen to me using a 256mb FAT32 thumb drive, until I started
mounting it as "mount -t vfat"

This was on slackware, but it may apply to your situation too.  Instead of mounting as
vfat, it mounted it automatically as some other format that was causing it read and
write incorrectly, and I got 0 byte files and the shell would tell me "file x does not
exist" when I would try to open manipulate files that I knew were written correctly.

Otherwise, there was a decent ext2 and ext3 driver for Windows I was using for a while
that seemed stable...I used it to read off my Linux partition onto windows, at least
up until I dumped Windows for good.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

that's the homepage.  Otherwise, maybe you'll have luck with samba or something else.

Good luck!

-Jay