[ale] launch programs over ssh into session?

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Fri Nov 19 17:18:18 EST 2004

I have some machines I have ssh access to (e.g. my mother's machine).  I was
wondering if there is anyway I could, for example, do something like launch a
browser window (let's say konqueror, for example) and have it show up in her
session.

I don't know much about how sessions are divided in Linux, so I'm not sure how
this works.  If I want to open a copy of AbiWord on my mother's machine so
she can see it launched, is there any way to do that via ssh? (not vnc, I
know how to do that)

If I log in as my mom and run a program, it automatically forwards the X
windows to my machine where I'm sshed in, and I would prefer in some
instances to open the window on her logged in session that's she's looking at
in front of the screen.

-Jay