[ale] Linux for "normal" people?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Nov 19 17:06:19 EST 2004

Holmquist, Thomas W. wrote:
> Actually, it doesn't matter... Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, etc. What
> you have to look for is if the card is based on a Prism chipset.
> Prism chipsets and a handful of  a few other chipsets are all that
> Linux currently supports. Although I haven't been keeping up with
> wireless support on Linux, I think pretty much any card will work now
> (some require drivers that cost $$$ though)

You have to be very careful when purchasing a card based on the prism54
chipset.  Many vendors have changed the internals of their cards, yet
continue to call them the same thing.  For example, I have a 3com
OfficeConnect ver. 1 that works like a champ.  3com apparently is
producing a version 2 that does not work with the prism54 driver, yet
the packaging is the same.  The same has happened to the smc 2802, which
is a pci card.  I've got two of these and they work great.  They've
changed the internals on this card in later versions as well.

--
Until later, Geoffrey