[ale] Image programs for Linux?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Nov 18 09:16:49 EST 2004

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 11:33 pm, Jay Loden wrote:
> I'm a hardcore Linux user, won't be going back to using Windows ever, if I
> can help it, but there is ONE thing that I just haven't found for Linux
> that I had on Windows, and that's Irfanview.
>
> Irfanview, for those who don't know it, is a small, fast image editor and
> viewer for Windows.  It's tiny, and fast, yet it lets you do a whole host
> of image editing, like resizing, renaming, slideshow creation, more than I
> can even list.  Does anyone out there know of anything similar for Linux?

In your search, be sure to check out "The Grumpy Editor's Guide to Image
Viewers" from Linux Weekly News at http://lwn.net/Articles/76391/.  It's a
good overview of what's outthere and the weaknesses.

His end recommnedation is that xv is still the best, old and outdated as it
is.  It's also not Open Source, so it is hard to find on the distributions.

Michael