[ale] OT: Court tomorrow

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Nov 16 12:57:15 EST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Aditya Srinivasan wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
>
> > Retain 10-15 minutes of data before current time, plus perhaps
> > up to an hour after an "incident".
>
> How do you do both ? Sounds contradictory.

Not too terribly difficult with a large hard disk instead of tape for
recording on. Of course, it will be nice to get high capacity solid state
disk equivilents which are more resistant to shock/impact.

How to do? Keep a rolling 75 minutes of recording data/frames. When
signaled by a sharp impact or manually triggered, set a timer to shut down
after another 60 minutes.

Of course, a bigger HD or other storage could allow longer recording
times. Conversely, a smaller HD would result in shorter recording times.
As long as the data around the actual incident itself is retained, the
rest is just "insurance" for a time when emotions can run high, and stupid
things can happen.