[ale] What package contains "file" ?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon Nov 15 23:42:58 EST 2004

Does anyone know what package/tarball contains the binary:  file ?
'file' is used to identify what type of file a file is.  Hrm, I gather
that it's silly to try to explain what I'm looking for to they whom
don't know what 'file' is/does.

For those that do, can anyone enlighten me?  It's this very reason that
I haven't been able to come up with a suitable search key for google.
Searching for "file linux"  (and every other combination that I've tried
for that matter) results in nothing but tangents.  I thought it was in
coreutils, but I was mistaken.

Can anyone clue me in on this simple one?

Thanks in advance!
-CB