[ale] somewhat OT: sysadmin must-knows?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Fri Nov 12 10:37:22 EST 2004

>>>>> "jay" == jay  <jloden at toughguy.net> writes:

[...]

    jay> What do you think I need to know?

Bones mend, chicks dig scars, and the US has the highest doctor to
daredevil ratio in the free world.

Wait . . . that's becoming a motorcycle stuntman.

Seriously though, really think long and hard about this.

Get addicted to caffeine now; a Sams / Costco / BJs membership is
handy for buying Mountain Dew in bulk.

Read some of the horror stories from alt.sysadmin.recovery (you should
be able to browse via google if you don't have an NNTP server handy),
and learn the a.s.r motto: "Down, not across."

Read "Enter the Cow-orker"; you'll be bound to have to fix things for
someone just like this: http://members.optusnet.com.au/white_gold/

Stock up on sleep now, because if^H^Hwhen you wind up 24x7 carrying a
pager / cell (because if you're low man on the pole junior sa it will
be you who gets stuck with it; even better if you prove yourself
competent you'll still get calls even when you're not it :) you'll
need it.

http://www.adminspotting.org/Adminspotting-800x800w.png

Run.  Now.  While you still can.

(Written 52.4% seriously by a mostly recovering admin)