[ale] somewhat OT: sysadmin must-knows?

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Fri Nov 12 09:33:14 EST 2004

Oh wow, welcome to the exciting world of professional data processing
(heh heh).  I'm more of a coder than a sys admin dude, but I often find
myself with a foot in both camps. Here's some stuff I can recommend off
the top of my head.

   * The more programming experience you have, the more flexible you'll
be. Python scripting is a Real Good Start. You're probly also gonnna
have to have some Perl and bash (argh!) experience. A reading knowledge
of C, C++, and Java is also very handy.
   * You might want to look at the Purple Book (UNIX System
Administration Handbook, Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, Hein, ISBN
0-13-020601-6). It's fabulously expensive but has good coverage of lots
of real SysAdmin issues. It also is a wonderful reference for the "just
gimme what I need to know today" questions about various Troubles.
   * Ain't no substitute for Doing It.  I'd recommend getting involved
in any Open Source stuff you can find. It'll look good on your resume,
and it's valuable experience. Run your own website, even if it's crude.
Roll your own connection to your ISP. Whatever. It's all good.
   * Networking is good, obviously. Show up at a few professional
meetings. Try to figure out who the Cool Dudes are.

Happy Hacking!

-- CHS