[ale] somewhat OT: sysadmin must-knows?

jay jloden at toughguy.net
Fri Nov 12 00:16:10 EST 2004

For everyone who doesn't know me, name is Jay Loden, I'm a student and
assistant systems administrator at Elon University (NC), and I need your help
and advice.

I just kind of "fell into" my job with systems administration, much the way  I
got involved with Linux, and it turns out I like both.  I am graduating in
May and I want to work in systems administration (or indeed anything where I
can use Linux daily).  Here's the problem: I'm graduating with a degree in
Corporate Communications.

Basically, I need to teach myself every scrap of useful information I can cram
into my brain before May about being a sysadmin, because I'm sure haven't
gotten it from my classes!  What I'm looking for is helpful suggestions, i.e.
books I need to read, skills I need to have, experience that's critical, etc.

I am working on honing my Python scripting skills (with the hope of being a
competent Python programmer by May), and I am rapidly learning as much as
possible about Linux in general, but I know that there are bound to be things
I'm neglecting or unaware of that are essential sysadmin know-how.  I would
love to hear from systems administrators out there on the list...how did you
get into your field?  What do you think I need to know? How can I learn it
best?  Is getting involved with OSS projects helpful (e.g. helping with a
distro)? What options are there for a guy with only a small amount of
"official" sysadmin experience who's willing to learn fast and hard?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the lengthy mail!

-Jay