[ale] Now that I've figured it out...

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 14:11:56 EST 2004

I thought I'd share about how I've got my netowrk profiles running too.

I've had this perennial problem with network profiles.

You go to work, have to login, change profile, restart all your network apps
(IM, etc.) and then bring everything online, wasting time.

Go home, lather, rinse, repeat.

So, I figured out a way (with much googling and some personal exploration) a
way to make it so you can choose your location from the GRUB login screen
and boot straight to the appropriate profile.

1.  Setup two profiles in addition to "common" named "work" and "home".
2.  rename your interfaces to appropriate names.  (mine are
"wireless_home"[1] and "wireless_work"[2]
3.  make it so your "wireless_home" only comes on in the "home" profile
4.  make it so your "wireless_work" only comes on in the "work" profile
5.  set keys appropriately for each site in the adapter properties tabs.
6.  edit your /etc/grub.conf file Linux portions to look something like so:

title FC3 (2.6.3-2.1.240) HOME
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3-2.1.240 ro root=LABEL=/ netprofile=home

title FC3 (2.6.3-2.1.240) WORK
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3-2.1.240 ro root=LABEL=/ netprofile=work

Reboot, and choose whichever profile reflecting your current location.  If
you did the above steps right, you should boot straight in with little or no
problems.

I'm lovin' life right about now.

Jerald M. Sheets jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator