[ale] Way OT: X-ray glasses=>Flu shots

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Nov 10 20:07:58 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 15:45 -0500, Bob Toxen wrote:
>
> > A flu shot is $30.  Get one!
>
> Flu shots are like antibiotics, if you don't start taking them, you
> don't generally need them over and over.  TOO many people needlessly
> take pills based on bad advice from well-intentioned NON-medical folks.
>
> Give your bod a break: eat right, get plenty of exercise, live healthy
> and your body will do fine on it's own.
>
> -Jim P.

Another post points it out in greater detail. An antibiotic works against
bacteria (_not_ viruses, fungi, or amebic type things), and the mode of
action is a poisen. The bacteria is poisened, to the point of death or
weakened enough for the body's own defenses to take over. However, the
natural flora of the body, which you do need to maintain health, can
become resistant to an antibiotic and sometimes transmit that resistance
to the invading bacteria. I also understand there is the posibility that
the natural flora is helping supress the infection, and the antibiotic
gets the wrong bug resulting in a worse situation.

In general, overuse/misuse of anti-biotics will fairly quickly destroy the
utility of anti-biotics.

A vacine is generally presenting the body with example protiens from the
virus or what-ever, to encourage the body to create antibodies to those
specific protiens, alowing the body to respond to and attempt to destroy
whatever is attached to the protien. With the flu viruses, this is fairly
well understood. If the experts identify the correct flu strains for the
coming year, the flu season can be fairly well shut down early. Apparently
flu viri don't mutate their protien coats all that quickly. The cold
virus, if I remember correctly, does shift the nature of it's protien coat
relatively quickly, making it harder for the body to defend against, and
making vacine making even trickier to manufacture.

All vacines also carry with them side effects, which are usually not
noticed but can be serious. For that reason, vaccine manufacture is
tightly overseen. (Bob is old enough to remember the Epstein-Barr outbreak
from flu shots back in the Ford Administration.) Since vacine manufacture
is also something like a nine month process at this time, if one of the
suppliers flunks an exam late in the process, there is no time to recover
from the lost of supply.

I should point out that injection of _any_ protenacious (sp???) substance
into a living body has the potiential to cause anaphalactic shock.
Regulators attempt to keep the risk down in the 1/10e9 range, but if you
are "lucky", you die. I had the pleasure of burying my wife for just that
reason 18 years ago.

Fortunately (sort of) we are getting some other anti-viral tools to
mitigate the problem this year. More expensive and less effective, but
better than nothing.