[ale] Debian's speed

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 13:13:56 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 12:21 -0500, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> Debian craps its pants every time I try and put it on my laptop, so I
> gave up ad went Fedora.  I just upped to FC3 Final yesterday, and WOW!!!
> is it faster or what?

FC3 has a newer kernel than Debian stable/testing.  I run Debian
unstable on my laptop w/ great success.  However, I use a custom kernel
that has more recent functionality enabled, as well as fewer modules.

> I can't believe how much faster it is than FC2.  Any guesses as to why?

I wonder if this is the diff between X.org  and XFree86.  Anybody have
much experience comparing the two?

-Jim P.