[ale] Way OT: X-ray glasses

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Nov 10 11:37:01 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 10:26, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> I wonder... Could the software running these things be enhanced to screen
> for lung problems? Say like tuberculosis? Keeping the walking ill off
> aircraft might save more long term than keeping the nut cases out.

No. These are very "soft" X-rays. They can't penetrate the skin for more
than a few millimeters. I would not want a full chest X-ray every time I
fly. The radiation dose at 5 miles up is bad enough.

As for the walking ill, until the business climate changes from "work
'till you drop' to 'only work at your best', people will do things in
public when they need to be resting at home. Flu, colds, and other
readily communicable diseases could be easily stomped if people had the
option to stay home when feeling the beginnings of these illnesses. My
wife's employer (years ago) was once nearly put out of business by one
sick worker. The flu bug spread like wildfire in a circle from the
"typhoid Mary" cube and then through the warehouse staff from lunch
contacts. In a 40 person company, having 32 people out for over 2 weeks
was a nightmare. Everyone needed to work to keep the cash flow happening
so they kept coming back in to soon and infecting others. They needed to
put bleach in the fire sprinklers and turn them on daily.