[ale] OT - MySQL 4.0 to 4.1.7 upgrade problems...

Keith Morris keith at iqtv.com
Wed Nov 3 15:43:51 EST 2004

This is not exactly a Linux problem but a MySQL problem. I have posted
this same question to the MySQL list, but knew that many of the bright
people here use MySQL so I thought I would pose the question here as
well to see if anyone had any insight.

We are in the process of upgrading our installation of MySQL 4.0 to
4.1.7 and are having an issue in our testing.

We have an internal CMS that was developed with MySQL 4.0 and PHP. We
very often insert Text with extended characters (trademark, copyright,
registered, etc) into latin1 tables with no problem. After converting
the tables to utf8 in mysql 4.1 with "ALTER TABLE table_name
type=MyISAM, CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin" Whenever we
try to insert Text, it will insert up to the first extended character
and then truncate the extended character to the end. It exhibits the
same behavior in CHAR, VARCHAR and TEXT fields.

I'm sure this is a configuration problem on my part, but I have searched
google, mysql.com and the archives but have not found any information.

If someone has any information or could point me in the right direction,
I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, it is not only from PHP that this happens. It does exactly the same
thing when the query is run from MySQLCC and the MySQL Query Browser. I
have also tried pasting the text into the MySQLCC text field editor and
it appears the field will not store those characters (although I assume
that mysqlcc is just running a query in the background so it wouldn't work)

HELP!!! Thanks in advance.
--
:: Keith Morris
:: Creative Director