[ale] Antivirus LiveCD?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed May 26 18:34:19 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:15, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> James Kinney, I concur. I forwarded your email on to a buddy of mine
> who's an MCSE. His knoppix CD saved his butt at least once before. Glad
> I don't have to deal with that stuff.

'Tis a pain in the butt. It is also the best advertising to change
operating systems! "See, Mr/Mrs Manager, if you were running a nice,
stable Linux operating system, your office staff would no longer be
having these issues and you would no longer be having these expenses."

> Props for a great solution.
Today, it failed me. The 3.4 version of Knoppix could read the NTFS
partition but no matter what I did, it couldn't write it. Since no
writes were allowed, no bugs were deleted. So I had to do the Windows
reboot/scan/reboot/scan cycle _way_ too many times.

The mount showed as "rw" but root could not create nor delete a file.
I'll need to do some docs digging, but I'm assuming that the 'write'
option was not part of the NTFS module.

What I am seeing as far as bugs and attack patterns is the massive
proliferation of web-bugs/spy-ware that opens a back door for
communication. Now there is a hole that invites other, less friendly
bugs in. So the AV software goes dark, new crap shows up, box fails.

So far, it looks like random happenstance. I don't think that there is a
concerted effort to collaborate. I sure hope the bad guy coders are not
that organized.