[ale] Issues adding guest OS with VMWare 4.5.1

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Mon May 24 19:35:28 EDT 2004

I've got a Dell Latitude D600 laptop on which I'm running SUSE 9.1 and
trying to install Windows 2000 Professional as a guest OS. I have my
BIOS set to boot first from CD if there is one present the hard drive. I
have verified this works by booting with the Windows 2000 CD in the
drive.I've got a Dell Latitude D600 laptop on which I'm running SUSE 9.1
and trying to install Windows 2000 Professional as a guest OS. I have my
BIOS set to boot first from CD if there is one present the hard drive. I
have verified this works by booting with the Windows 2000 CD in the
drive.

HOWEVER...

I get prompted when booting to "Press any key to boot from CD". So even
if I tell it to boot from CD first, I still have to hit a key or it
defaults to booting from the hard drive.

I think this is why I'm getting an error in VMWare 4.5.1 about not
finding a bootable CD. It may be that it's looking for that 'user
input'.

Is there a way around this? Has anyone successfully installed a guest OS
using VMWare 4.5.1 on a Dell Latitude D600 and, if so, how?

Thanks a lot.