[ale] "Hardware" modem

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Mon May 24 10:51:05 EDT 2004

Sort of, but only partially. A "controllerless" modem means that all the
functions of the controller are done by the software, but the data pump is
implemented in hardware. A full-on software modem does both controller
functions and data pump functions entirely in software. Conversely, a
hardware modem is completely self-contained.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Mon, 24 May 2004 10:04:06 -0400