[ale] knoppix myconfig=scan home=scan

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sun May 23 18:04:54 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 05:53:46PM -0400, griffisb at bellsouth.net wrote:

> Really starting to like this Knoppix stuff. Am still running Knoppix 3.3 (I
> did a bad copy on 3.4, dowloaded okay, copied to my burner PC and dropped
> some bits. Gotta do it again).

Keep at it. 3.4 has some real cool stuff including a 2.6 kernel, Captive NTFS
filesystem driver, and an updated OpenOffice.

> Anyway - you can save your home directory and config to a thumbdrive (or
> whatever you call them). Now on boot, printing works - don't have to
> reconfigure to see my CUPS printer. Samba config is saved, I can see my
> server and get to it. Not bad at all!

Kery cool. Now it gets even better. There's a tool called knoppix-customize
that you can run against your image before you burn it. With this tool you
can append options such as your screen resolution, home=scan, myconfig=scan,
, your boot background image and the like. Then the CD will incorporate
whatever changes you make.

If you think that your printing and samba is cool, wait until you don't have
to type anything addtional to get it.

> I think I'd like a copy of GNUCash or KMyMoney if either fit. Other than
> that, I like the distro and like the apps.

Another cool things about 3.4 is that you can actually install some
applications and make them available.

BAJ