[ale] SpamAssasin Testing

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri May 21 17:19:01 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 16:02, Jonathan Glass wrote:
> Since my last email, I've received about 400 spam, and
> still about 50% are getting through the filters.  I
> just added some more rules, and will let you know how
> it goes the rest of the evening and weekend.

Sounds like a normal 4-5 hours around here :)

Seriously, the volume that SA was letting through is why I fought my way
through the DSPAM setup. The quarantine was worth the time I spent
getting it going. It was getting to be more maintenance time that I
could afford to keep tweaking the SA rules. The statistics rules that
DSPAM uses seem to be very effective and MUCH less of a hassle to
maintain. It's really good for my less-technically inclined clients.
They just look at a web page for oops and send spam that slipped through
to a special address. It has really solve some issues for a client who
was getting his email mirrored to his blackberry. About once a week the
spam flood that SA was missing would lock his blackberry account for
being too full. He had no way of deleting the crap from the holding
spool with out a browser. Now, he may have some stuff marked as spam and
dropped in quarantine by mistake, but all the good stuff he's seen gets
through and once he checks the DSPAM quarantine, the new, good stuff
does as well.