[ale] Clarification - Fedora as a server?

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Fri May 21 14:39:55 EDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Robert Heaven wrote:

> There are several of us on here with extensive FreeBSD experience.
Well then I'll just bug ya'll. ;)

> Just a clarification question: If the host is being provided by (and the
> OS choice is dictated by) a hosting company, will they not be the ones
> that set everything up and maintain it? Once you give them your basic
> requirements (apache, mysql, etc.) they have to either say "yes we can"
> or "no we can't".

Well, not quite. They don't manage the box at all, in fact, they don't
have root on it.  It's a leased, dedicated box.  They do set up the OS
initially (and very securely, I might add) but after that, they don't
touch it.  But I'd rather not a) deal with remotely putting a different
distro on a machine I don't have physical access to, and b) be in the
position of saying "hey guys, could you look at x" and them saying "ah
well, we'd love to but we don't know jack about that distro".  I'm sure
they'd be very helpful but...well, that's a lot of effort for something
that is, in effect, an indulgence for myself and some family and friends.
So if I can move to a supported OS with minimal pain, that's what I'll do.

> Also, Fedora Core 1 is not stable. In fact, Fedora, by it's nature, is
> bleeding edge and unstable.
This is what I was afraid of.  Indulgance or not, I want my machine up and
stable.

Thanks for all the input
jenn