[ale] Perl + SSL

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed May 19 09:47:39 EDT 2004

You can use ssl for just encryption, you don't need to go whole hog
and use its authentication features as well.  Also consider just
passing on implementing the crypto in your software and using stunnel
or ssh to pass the traffic.  You're most likely better off using a
proven protocol than trying to implement your own even if you use off
the shelf algorithms (stop and immediately read Schneier's _Secrets
and Lies_ NOW if you haven't already :).

At any rate, if you still want to do it yourself look at
Crypt::SSLeay, Net::SSLeay, and the other Crypt:: modules on CPAN
(probably using something like Crypt::Blowfish with Crypt::DH to do
key exchange).