[ale] VX6000 setup In Mandrake9.2

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue May 18 06:10:51 EDT 2004

Marty wrote:
> Has any one had any problems with a USB device? I had got a new LG
> VX6000 cellphone and I am trying to get the modem to work on mandrake
> 9.2.  System info at bottom of this message.
>
> I added 'none /proc/bus/usb      usbdevfs        defaults   0   0' to
> the fstab file just after 'none /proc proc defaults 0 0' as stated on
> the www.bitpim/sourcefourge.net online help.
>
> now I'm getting a error when I issue dmesg;
> usbdevfs: remount parameter error
> usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x1004/0x6000) is not claimed by any
> active driver
>
> I took my phone and the usb cable to a friends house and it works with
> SusE 9.1 and the Author is using RH9. so at this point I'm not sure what
> the differences are between the two distributions other than what they
> put in a generic kernel. I would like to know what is not in the
> Mandrake kernel that makes it work in RH9 and Suse 9.1. Help!
>
> I ran across a similar problem but not sure on how to fix it.
> (The problem
> The clue to the problem is in the second line of the kernel messages:
>
> kernel: usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0xaec/0x5010) is not claimed by
> any active driver

This would indicate that the proper driver is not loaded.  Was there a
reference to a module on sourceforge?  If you have access to either of
the machines that it did work on, it's likely that 'lsmod' will reveal
the driver that is being loaded.

> Basically, while the kernel recognises it as a USB device it hasn't a
> clue which device it is or what to do with it. A search on Google
> against the vendor and product IDs brought up this link Linux USB Device
> Overview)
>
> Do I need to recompile the kernel?

Not yet.  It may be simply that the driver is there, but not configured
to be loaded.  If you can locate the driver either through further
research at sourceforge or on one of the machines it did work on, you
might be able to figure out which module(s) you need to load.