[ale] X running excruciatingly slow

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon May 17 17:58:56 EDT 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 11:03 am, John Wells wrote:
> Geoffrey said:
> > Are you sure you have the drive jumpers set properly since you moved it?
>
> Very positive.  I've checked it over and over, just to make sure.
>
> The drive seems very responsive from a virtual terminal.  It's only when I
> fire up X that my problems begin.

I didn't get the start of this thread, but what do you mean exactly by slow?
Do applications take a long time to load?  Is redrawing of the actual screen
taking forever?  I've had problems with X in the past where if the /etc/hosts
file isn't setup up properly, application loading slow waaaaaay down.  I
think X or the window manager was trying to resolve something and it had to
wait for the initial name resolution to time out.  Make sure on the same line
with localhost in the /etc/hosts file you have the proper name of the
machine.  Just a thought....

Calvin...