[ale] i810 chipset and DRI

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon May 17 15:17:22 EDT 2004

At last Thursday's ALE Central meeting, during switchboard, I asked about
getting DRI with my Intel i810 chipset.  I couldn't run tuxracer acceptably,
and it would complain about not having DRI.  I found tha solution and thought
I'd post it since that is a pretty common (I was going to say "popular", but
that has the wrong connotations) chipset.

I found the answer during a google search.  It turns out that i810 works best
in 16 bit graphics.  I changed the default bit depth in
my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, restarted X, and bingo!  Now I can show my
kids the joys of sliding on your belly and eating herring.

Peace and joy,

Michael