[ale] X running excruciatingly slow

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon May 17 07:16:26 EDT 2004

John Wells wrote:
> Michael D. Hirsch said:
>
>>Could be interrupt problems.  If your mouse is having a conflict, it could
>>slow things down.
>

> How would I identify this?  I am still at a loss on this one.  I've
> switched mice and keyboards, but same affect.  I booted up to a Win XP
> drive in same machine, same mouse and keyboard, and everything worked
> perfectly fine, so it's got to be something on the linux side.  I also
> upgraded the entire system, X included, to the latest versions from
> freshrpms.net...still no luck.

If you're having interrupt issues, I expect to see some logging info,
probably in /var/log/messages.

I'd compare the interrupts between linux and XP.  /proc/intterrupts will
show you active interrupts and also identify shared interrupts.

I assume XP has some facility for the same as did win9?, but I've not
had the need to research it on that virus.