[ale] OT:Hard Drive Switcher

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri May 14 15:04:10 EDT 2004

Ryan Williams wrote:
>> You might also want to use Suse for your music needs - that's what I am
>> doing as Suse apps are 1)free with Suse 2)provide more choices for all
>> aspects of sound production/whatever 3)run on an OS that doesn't suck
>> up the
>> cycles (try running a minimum windows manager or even a command line
>> vs MS's
>> bloated OS or even KDE/GNOME to save cycles) and 4)are free with the
>> distribution.  Did I mention Suse/Linux apps cost less than MS ones ?
>

> Oh believe me... I would love to be working between linux and macOSX for
> the music production and cut Win out of the system entirely. However,
> I've yet to see anything far enough along under Linux to be usable as a
> platform for a DAW multi-track system. Sure, there is plenty of great
> open source linux software available for consumers for mild two-track
> editing and file-format encoding, but on the pro end everything is
> pretty much Win and MacOSX. If I'm missing something here, please let me
> know. Is there anything comparable to ProTools, Nuendo, Halion, Battery,
> etc. on the linux platform that is accurate and stable?

The last two months Linux Journal have had articles on sound tools, you
might check it out.  This month is an article by a guy who teaches music
and uses Linux tools to work with pieces, so I would guess there are
some nifty tools out there.  Then again, I know nothing about the tools
you mentioned.