[ale] [OT] Digital Trustworthiness - (was usbank scam)

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri May 14 12:28:17 EDT 2004

"Robert Reese" <ale at sixit.com> writes:

> On 5/13/2004 at 8:40 PM Joe Knapka wrote:
>
> >Ironically, in
> >the age of the Internet, only paper is trustworthy.
>
> I disagree, Joe.  If people used verifiable digital signatures, it
> would be as trustworthy (or more) than paper.

I agree with that proposition in general. However, do you know of any
companies (banks, for example) that use secure digital technologies to
communicate with consumers? I don't. So in that context, I must trust
paper over digital communication.

Also, while current digital security technologies are probably more
secure than paper when properly applied, that's certainly not a
given. Tomorrow someone could figure out how to factor giant numbers
quickly, for example.

Cheers,

-- Joe

--