[ale] partitioning XP disk with parted

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Thu May 13 21:39:02 EDT 2004

James P. Kinney III wrote:

>The tool you are looking for is ntfsresize. Somewhere in my system I
>have a statically compiled version that fits onto a floppy.
>
>The process goes like this:
>
>Defrag the disk with windows tools.
>Boot system with Knoppix,
>run fdisk -l  to get the current hard drive data. WRITE IT ALL DOWN!!!
>use ntfsresize to change the size of the ntfs partition.
>Then delete the entire partition with the knoppix booted fdisk.
>Recreate the ntfs partition with the exact same starting point as the
>original but the new end point as determined using ntfsresize.
>Reboot back to windows and let the chdsk run.
>Reboot back with knoppix and create the new linux space in the now empty
>space or boot with your favorite distro installers and let it handle it.
>
>Here's a link to a boot floppy with ntfsresize:
>http://linux-tablet-pc.dhs.org/booter-144.raw
>
>and a link to the ntfsresize page (which is down at the moment):
>http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

Thanks! I got the dope on ntfsresize at this page:

http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

And I opted for the RIP rescue disk from here:

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

I did a trial resize with no problems. The full run will come tomorrow
night. I highly recommend RIP. It has everything you need for rescue,
resizing and partitioning operations.