[ale] Cells phones and Java and *Nix

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Wed May 12 14:55:59 EDT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 02:45:20PM -0400, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:
> 	Anyway, does anyone have experience with / comments on:
>
> 1. Getting files on and off phones, especially from *nix and MacOS. (I
> have no experience with IR or Blue Tooth, and I don't know if Phones that
> have USB are just mass storage devices or what) Can this be done on the
> cheap?

I bought a Motorola V400 phone through Cingular several weeks ago.  There
is a USB cable / software package combo that allows for transferring both
multimedia and PIM-type information between PC and phone.  I don't know
if it also handles Java apps, or if Linux will handle the USB connection
properly (ideally, view the phone as a storage mount).

When I get a spare moment, I'll see about answering these questions.

> 2. Can I establish a TCP/IP connection from the phone to my desktop? I'd
> prefer to avoid the expense of bluetooth phones if possible, but I might
> decide that it's worth it.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  Are you trying to ping and
FTP from the phone to your desktop, or do you simply want to establish
Internet connectivity with the phone providing the communications channel?