[ale] Cells phones and Java and *Nix

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed May 12 14:45:47 EDT 2004

Hey all,

	I'm planning to switch cell phone providers and was about to just
pick the cheapest phone (with a silent ringer) without thinking about it
too much, but then I realized that I like to program in java and it might
be fun to write some java apps and put them on the phone.

Sadly I am an idiot about this sort of thing since (I have always been
practical about such choices and I don't get excited about things like
"polyphonic ringtones" or "camera phones"). Anyway, I'm assuming I would
need USB or bluetooth or IR to get a JAR file onto the phone. One App I
had in mind would be a controller for something on my computer, so some
sort of connectivity would be essential even if there was some other way
to get the app on the phone.

	Anyway, does anyone have experience with / comments on:

1. Getting files on and off phones, especially from *nix and MacOS. (I
have no experience with IR or Blue Tooth, and I don't know if Phones that
have USB are just mass storage devices or what) Can this be done on the
cheap?

2. Can I establish a TCP/IP connection from the phone to my desktop? I'd
prefer to avoid the expense of bluetooth phones if possible, but I might
decide that it's worth it.

	bjorn