[ale] Booting from Promise Ultra133 TX2

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Wed May 12 11:59:06 EDT 2004

John,

I hope I'm not throwing you off on this  :-(

I use a Promise100 card with Freebsd4.3. It's been a while since I set
it up but I don't recall any requirement except that SCSI is the boot
option which is selected in the BIOS, of course. I'm not using any other
HDs, e.g. with IDE controllers; or, for that matter other SCSI drives in
this machine.

In fact I'm not going to use the card after it goes down, in that I use
"dd" to occasionally duplicate my drive [in this machine] and
introducing another piece of hardware, that costs $, to fail, is not
worth it.

I'm going to just set up a cron command to dd the drive occasionally and
that's more than good enough for my purposes.

I don't think Promise hardware is worth the time.

I hear good things about Escalade cards, but unless someone is running
large SQL databases or webservers of some kind, I doubt all this is
worth the time. But if I were.....I'd duplicate all the hardware as well.

I am also using a Promise100 card under WinNT4.0 and haven't tried any
crash/mirror availability tests on it yet. I'm pessimistic on that.

Given dd and cron I can't see any real value in hardware/raid solutions,
for me, though I must add I've got several other boxes running
implementations such as Raid5, but have found the complexity creates
more problems than it solves, for me   :-)

Cordially,
Courtney

John Wells wrote:

> Courtney Thomas said:
>
>>Since all worked before the BIOS update, and obviously the drive and
>>card are compatible, and work, I don't see what other choice remains
>>than..... the new BIOS,..... assuming you're using Grub in both cases
>>and that it's unmodified.
>>

> Courtney, the bios upgrade allowed me actually select the promise card as
> a boot option...I've never actually used the card or drive in this machine
> before.
>
> What do you use, lilo?  Any special boot options?

s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619