[ale] new burner problem

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue May 11 07:38:35 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:32:55AM -0500, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I just added a new burner to my computer.
> It has DVD, CDRW, CDR, and 4 memory card readers.
> Unfortunately, I cannot get it to burn. Here's what goes down:
(details snipped)

This might be related:

I had recently upgraded my desktop from Fedora Core 2 Test 1 (or it might
have actually been Fedora Core 1) to FC2T2 (never mind that Fedora claims
to not officially support upgrades in its test distros).  I downloaded
ISOs for FC2T3 (thanks Jonathan!) and went to burn them through the usual
"cdrecord" method.  No go.  "cdrecord -scanbus" wouldn't even see my CD
burner.

I thought it was a kernel glitch, so I downloaded the kernel pkg. from the
FC2T3 distro and rebooted.  Now the "-scanbus" saw my drive, so I tried
cdrecord again.  Still no go, even after supplying every conceivable
combo of SCSI parms.

Now I went the route of the Nautilus built-in CD burner.  This time it
burned, except one particular ISO (second disc) always failed the Fedora
"mediacheck" option, even after trying several different burn speeds.
So I then upgraded these packages directly from FC2T3 as well:

nautilus-cd-burner
nautilus (and whatever it complained about)
mkisofs

and rebooted.  This time, disc 2 burned, and I was all happy again.

That took two whole nights out of me.