[ale] streaming media

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue May 11 00:19:44 EDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Preston Boyington wrote:

> I am about to become involved with a local radio station and its' efforts
> to start streaming content from their site.  Given that I might have
> influence on server/os/format I have started researching in this area and
> was hoping some others might give recommendations/advice to me for this
> project.
>
> Currently I know of a station that is being streamed by a friend of mine
> using a "boom box" (headphone out to line in) and RH 6.2.  Admittedly, I
> want something a bit better than this, but don't think it would be a big
> issue depending on how high of quality they want to stream.

I can tell you some of the details of the setup used by WREK
<http://www.wrek.org/>, or get you in touch with people there who can tell
you more (I set up the streaming side of it, but I didn't do the encoding
part). It won't all be applicable, since WREK has a digital web /
database-based automation system that the encoding feeds off of, but it's
mostly still the same ideas....

later,
chris