[ale] Getting around blocking software

Ryan Williams ryan at jimmyether.com
Mon May 10 20:22:36 EDT 2004

> If they'd freak if they found her using ssh, what do you think they
> would do if she attempted to 'mask' the ip as you've suggested.  I
> think you're walking a very thin line here.  Is it worth the risk?
> Ask them to permit the access if it's harmless enough.  It is her
> employer, so it's their final word.

Honestly, they are not going to make a big deal out of her going to a
particular IP address. If they do find it inappropriate, they would
simply add that address to the block list as well. This was a case of a
site being flagged by software because it assumed the content to be of
an adult nature, when in actuality, it was just a bloging community.
The problem with her using SSH is that they would indeed freak out if
she were running unapproved software, especially something like SSH
that most people in her office wouldn't even understand. That just
looks shady, where viewing what a blog community site on down time
isn't a big deal.

Ryan