[ale] grub problems

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon May 10 19:39:52 EDT 2004

Josh Freeman wrote:
> You may be able to get the command  line from grub and find and boot the
> kernel that way. essentially you will be creating the boot option
> stanzas when you get to the grub prompt

I don't ever get to a prompt.  I've resolved it though, as follows:

Boot with a rescue disk.
mount the root partition I'm trying to get to.
chroot
grub-install '(hd0)'

grub-install reinstalls grub in the mbr.  Apparently, RH removed the
previous one.  Wierd.  I told it not to install one, so it removes the
one I've got???