[ale] Getting around blocking software

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 10 12:41:21 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 03:43:23PM -0400, Ryan Williams wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a linux alternative to Circumventor type software?

Look into SSH's DynamicForward option.  SSH clients have the ability to
act as a SOCKS v4 proxy server.  Well, at least openssh clients do; I
assume that ssh.com and PuTTY have this ability as well.  If your wife
has an openssh client, all she has to do is

    ssh -D 1080 <home linux box>

Then configure her browser to use localhost as a SOCKSv4 proxy.  This
assumes, of course, that outbound ssh connections aren't blocked.

Also make sure you know what her office security policy is.  It would
really suck for her to get fired for unauthorized computer use.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9