[ale] Fedora 1 kernel upgrade

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri May 7 09:23:50 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 08:59:34AM -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Has anyone here tried to upgrade the kernel on Fedora 1 with a stock one
> from kernel.org?

> I am trying to use 2.4.26 and I believe that they have done something to
> the threading in the Fedora kernel.  when I reboot on the new kernel all
> processes that normally would execute under one PID with threads like
> mysql now have many PIDs.  Not only that but my Apache that I compiled
> under the Fedora kernel will not run.  It keeps dying for no apparent
> reason.

> Any clues?

	There was a discussion on another list about threading and the
kernel name.  Something about if the kernel name ends in .nptl then
it operates in a different mode with regards to threading.  Some sort
of RedHat specific magic cookie in the name, I guess.

	I haven't tried to run a stock kernel on Fedora Core 1 or 2
at this time.  I'll see if I can find where that thread was being
discussed.  That's the only clues I've got on this one.  :-/

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/