[ale] Korn Shell on RH9

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed May 5 22:28:51 EDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:

> All,
>
> We have a unix admin who wants ksh on rh9.  His attempt to install has lead to having to install openpkg first.
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild ./openpkg-2.0.2-2.0.2.src.rpm
>

> warning: group rse does not exist - using root
> error: line 64: Unknown tag: Class:        CORE
>
> We get some warnings and then a final error.  Anyone have experience here?  The ultimate destination is to install K shell on Redhat 9.

Why not use pdksh, which comes with Red Hat and most other Linux distros?
It's close enough to written-by-David-Korn ksh that only an insane person
would know ksh well enough to spot the differences ;-)

Barring that, the problem is that the spec file in the openpkg SRPM contains
a line

Class: CORE

which standard RPM doesn't recognize (openpkg extends RPM in some
non-backwards-compatible ways). Unless you want to go deeply down the
openpkg route, you're probably best off just getting ksh from David Korn's
site and packaging it yourself...

later,
chris