[ale] Calamaris and SARG

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed May 5 16:59:52 EDT 2004

Got the proxy server working and went to each PC pointing the browser to the proxy for now. Tested access from my work laptop, and  can't get into the office VPN when using the proxy. So, my options:

1. continue using the proxy as a "voluntary" proxy (by selecting in the browser setup)
2. Force users to use the proxy by blocking at the router, and just allowing my office laptop through (hmmmm, what to do with DHCP? I could hard-code IP addresses and do it that way)
3. Create a proxy users subnet. I have a spare nic, a spare Linksys switch, and a Cisco 1900 switch supporting VLANs. It's a doable thing.
4. Force everything through the proxy, and set up the "do not use proxy for following addresses" field, including all work subnets (does this have to be at device level, or can I do subnetting for entire class A, class B and some class C networks?

Anyway - that wasn't the point of this post. Installing Calamaris and SARG on SuSE 9.0 Pro was extremely simple. Just YAST, install, and they work out of the box. Couldn't be nicer. Now to figure out cron so I can do daily, weekly and monthly reports.