[ale] Getting around blocking software

Ryan Williams ryan at jimmyether.com
Tue May 4 18:45:37 EDT 2004

> Do you know anything about how it works?  Are they blocking port 80 and
> forcing you to go through a proxy?  Are they doing transparent
> proxying?  Are
> they filtering each tcp packet?

We really have no way of knowing for sure. I'm sure it's some software
package they purchased which flags words and phrases and blocks the
domain and IP when if finds a match. Apparently she was looking at
black and white photography blogs and someone had posted a cut-link
that said "nude photos". I'm pretty sure that's what was flagged it
even though she didn't click on it. They did the same thing with Amazon
a while back for similar reasons, though now access to that site has
been oddly restored (I guess the IT guys had shopping to do).

Basically, I'm just looking for something that will mask the domain/IP
for her so they just see my local IP or something similar. I'll check
out squid and see if that will work.

Ryan