[ale] Getting around blocking software

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Tue May 4 16:17:43 EDT 2004

> I'd try running squid off site on a port other than 80 (I think it defaults to
> 3128, or 8080) and pointyour browser to that.  That should avoid most forms
> of proxying.

If you do this, I'd be certain to restrict the proxy to only allow _your_ ip address, rather than running an
open proxy.  What I do is to run squid on my home machine, then open an SSH connection to that machine and
tunnel my http traffic across that connection.  This has the disadvantage of requiring the ssh connection to
the home machine, but means that the proxy server's use is limited to anyone with a shell account on my home
box, and also that my http traffic is encrypted so that all the resident IT dept sees is connections to my home
machine.. ;)

Cheers,
--George