[ale] OT: Delta "computer glitch"

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 14:06:27 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 16:31, Frank S. Glass wrote:
> Do any ALE'ers know anything about the "computer glitch" that grounded Delta
> flights on Saturday?  There's been little news other than Delta saying that was
> not related to safety or security.

Seems it was related to a system that calculates gross weight so that
fuel can be allocated accordingly.  From what it sounds like, there was
a complete failure (hardware?) which required hours to fix.  Even
mainframes recover faster than 6 hours, so I'm guessing it was major
hardware failure.  Interestingly... I saw what looked like 4 DT (Delta
Technology) people, based on visable ID badges, at MicroCenter on
Saturday... I wasn't paying attention to what they were purchasing.

> I imagine some poor programmer in Bangalore being awakened in the middle of the
> night to fix the problem.

Rumor?  I know that Delta has a sizable technical staff in Atlanta... I
don't see what they would need development staff in Bangalore for.  They
do have a call center there, however who doesn't these days?