[ale] CORBA

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Mon May 3 12:29:53 EDT 2004

[...]

    Chris> I have a Java class that is an abstraction to all SQL code
    Chris> in our J2EE application.  I also have Perl code that works
    Chris> with the database.  I want the perl code to go through the
    Chris> abstraction for all SQL stuff. That way i have one manager
    Chris> that handles data and other people (programs) can be
    Chris> notified upon inserts.  I was looking at CORBA to allow my
    Chris> perl programs to communicate with the Java code that
    Chris> handles all SQL stuff.

I'd definately look at XML-RPC or SOAP before CORBA then, probably
preferring the later if you want to expose an OOP-y interface.  Both
are available for Java and Perl and both are likely to be more well
supported on the Perl side than CORBA (going from my experience last I
mucked with it from Perl).