[ale] The joy of false postives - squidGuard / blacklist-upd

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Mon May 3 08:06:12 EDT 2004

On Sunday 02 May 2004 22:38, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> A second thought on this:
>
> Make a new list that is an approved list and add these sites to it. If
> the attempted site is not on the approved list the default list is
> checked and _that_ one goes to the blacklist.
>
> I just had to set up this for a client who has one employee who is web
> surfing instead of customer support. That person got caught showing a
> customer a competitors website where an item was in stock (maybe) that
> their store was out of stock. I though the owner was going to have a
> stroke.

Thanks, that's what I'll try. I see that the script and acl's have 2 databases
defined but not populated. One is local-ok, the other is local-block. Looks
the purpose is to add user defined blocking and approval. I messed it up I
guess - as the local-ok is either not getting picked up, or I didn't do it
correctly. Time to read a little more doc. Although the format looks real
straight-forward.

I can't beleive customer support people sending potential clients to a
dfferent competitor. That's wrong!