[ale] SuSE 9.1 pricey?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat May 1 11:09:19 EDT 2004

I was really kinda hesitant about the idea of a 'community' purchase of
SuSE, the fact that I've purchased SuSE personally since 7.4 and felt
that there might be licensing issues.  I've checked out their website
regarding this issue and don't seem to find anything that would indicate
that we couldn't/shouldn't take this approach.  Then again, I do believe
it makes sense to support the various Linux vendors.

As for the price, it's pricey for SuSE Linux, but in comparison to what
you get, for what you pay for, it's a deal.  Compare the list of goodies
here:

http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/prof/index.html

To what you get from M$ or even other Linux vendors, it's quite the deal.

So, I guess I'm torn on this issue, but I'll say this, don't go running
out to do a 'community' purchase just yet.  I don't believe they are
evening shipping quite yet. I'll be getting the upgrade regardless,
because I feel I need to support the Linux community, and I can afford
to do so.  I'll research the licensing issues a bit more and if I don't
see any problems with making the copies, I'll provide the source disks.

I would suggest that those of you who have the funds to purchase a boxed
version of linux, regardless of the distro, please do so.  We need to
support those vendors who are building these newbie friendly versions.